Purchasing insurance for your campervan can feel like unwanted expense, but doing so can also give you great peace of mind. You are legally obliged to have at least third party insurance for your vehicle, but it is highly recommended that you get more than this. This is because third party insurance will not cover the contents of your campervan. If you intend to go travelling you are likely to be bringing along a far number of possessions and for real peace of mind you will want to make sure that these are covered.
Good Reasons for Choosing Fully Comprehensive Insurance for your Campervan
Those of us who are out to save a few pounds will be tempted to choose the cheapest campervan insurance that we can find. We may reassure ourselves with the idea that we have been on plenty of campervan trips in the past, and that we have never needed to make any claim on our insurance. The difficulty with this type of thinking is that problems and accidents can occur at any time, and just because we have not needed to make an insurance claim in the past it does not mean that we will not have to make one in the future.
Third party insurance can be a good option for some types of vehicle, but it is not really recommended for campervans because:
· A campervan will usually be worth more than your standard car. This means that it is going to cost more to fix it or get it replaced. If people have a relatively cheap vehicle they may feel safe in risking third party insurance, but they have far more to lose with a campervan.
· Third party insurance will not cover the contents of your vehicle.
· Comprehensive insurance will protect your vehicle against fire, theft, and damage – cheaper insurance will not offer this protection.
· Some comprehensive insurance policies will even cover your accommodation if problems mean that you will not be able to sleep in the van.
The benefits of comprehensive insurance make it the logically choice if you want to achieve peace of mind.
How to Find Cheap Camper van Insurance
It is possible to get even comprehensive campervan insurance at a relatively reasonable cost. The tricks to getting the best deals include:
· If you have bought a popular type of campervan you will be able to get cheaper car insurance. This is because it will be cheaper to repair in the event of an accident. Insurers view imported campervans as far more of a risk to insure.
· New campervans tend to cost less to insure than older ones.
· If you are willing to beef up the security of your campervan then this will also lower the price. It is important to note though, that any device you add must be approved by the insurer to be eligible for the discount.
· If you agree to increase your excess (the amount you pay in the event of an accident) this will bring down the cost of your insurance.