Paris is an amazing city, no doubt about it, but tourists will be losing out if this is all they see during a trip to France. There are just so many great things to see beyond the capital that it would be a bit of a shame to miss out. Here are just some of the excellent things that people can see and do outside of Paris.
- One of the most amazing discoveries ever to be made in France occurred in the Lascaux cave, which is located in the Dordogne area. Inside this cave are some paintings that are believed to date back to the Palaeolithic age – they are thought to be 17,300 years old. Visiting the Lascaux cave to see these ancient cave paintings would be something that few people will forget.
- Mont St-Michel is one of the most attractive things to see in France. This tidal island is home to a historical commune, and it is one of the most photographed attractions in the country. Mont St-Michel is located in Normandy.
- The Bordeaux region is best known for being the place where some of the best wine in France comes from. This area is one of the most picturesque in the country, and it is the beauty of the place that keeps on bringing tourists back again and again. A day out in rural Bordeaux means exploring the vineyards and villages, and visiting restaurants where great food and excellent wine is always available.
- The prettiest town in France is said to be Annecy. It is located in the French Alps and is just 25 miles away from Zurich in Switzerland. The town (more like a city) is located right on Lake Annecy, and it is full of impressive historical buildings.
- The French Rivera (Côte d'Azur) is on the Mediterranean coast and is one of the most glamorous and relaxing parts of France. This area was the home of the first ever resorts in the world, and it still attracts tourists from all around the world – up to 15 million people visit here each year. The largest city in the French Rivera is Nice, but there are plenty of wonderful towns to visit along the coast. One of the most popular times to visit this part of the world is during the Cannes Film Festival.
- Carcassonne is a fortified French Town that is located in Languedoc. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is without doubt the most amazing town in the country – there is even a board game named after it. Visiting Carcassonne is like stepping back in time and the folk mythology surrounding this area only increase the specialness of the place.
There is a great deal more to France than just Paris. This country is packed with beautiful and interesting things to see, and it could take a lifetime of visits in order to fully explore what is on offer.