Road trips are probably the best way to see Australia – especially if you have a bit of time at your disposal. In part one of this series, we looked at some of the most common ways to do this type of trip without spending too much money. In this second part, we will be going up a level so that you can really get the most out of this type of holiday.
- One of the most important considerations when going on a road trip has to be the people you take with you. This type of holiday can ruin friendships and romantic relationships. The problem is that when you are with people all the time you see a different side of them, and you might not like what you see. Habits that are only slightly irritating normally become unbearable when you are spending all your time with that person. This is why it is not a good idea to go on a road trip with people who you are not sure about. It is also vital that you make sure that there is plenty of time on a road trip for people to be able to go off on their own.
- In order to keep the costs of a road trip reasonable, you will need to agree on budgeting with your travel companions beforehand. If this does not happen, it could mean that one person ends up paying for things like petrol while their companions hitch a free ride – that person paying could be you. If you want to avoid any resentment, you will need to be clear from the beginning about who is paying for what, and that way it will be a cheap trip for everyone.
- It is also important that you agree to some type of route for your trip before you go. This doesn’t mean that you can’t be spontaneous, but it does help safeguard from one person dictating where everyone else will go each day. If you can all agree on the places you want to visit before setting out it will prevent a good deal of bitterness later on.
- A good way to save money on a road trip is to avoid eating out as much as possible. One of the nice things about travelling around Australia in your own transportation is that you are sure to pass plenty of nice picnic spots. Buying food in shops is always going to be cheaper than going to a restaurant, and it is just more fun to eat in this type of venue.
- If there is more than one driver then this means that you can travel long routes faster. You might even be able to save on hotel bills because when one person drives the other person will be able to sleep. Doing things this way can get you to your destination faster, save you money, and help to keep you safe – the last thing you want is an overtired driver behind the wheel.