Expert Recommendations for Buying Campervan InsurancePublished: 09/14/2012
If you have a campervan it is important that you have adequate insurance. Some people may be tempted to just settle for minimum amount of coverage that is legally required. This is not always such a wise decision because third party insurance is not usually adequate for this type of vehicle because:
- The campervan will usually contain many of your possessions, and third party insurance will not cover and loss or damage to these.
- If your campervan becomes uninhabitable for some reason a more comprehensive insurance policy will pay for somewhere for you and your family to stay.
- Campervans are more expensive than the average vehicle so they will cost more to repair and replace. If you do not have the right coverage you could be in real trouble in the event of any damage sustained.
- You will not be protected from fire and theft with third party insurance.
Expert Tips for Buying Campervan Insurance
Here are a few expert tips for anyone thinking of purchasing campervan insurance:
- It is important not to just compare policies by price. You also need to take into account what amount of coverage they are offering you. Remember that the more comprehensive that your insurance is for this type of vehicle the better it will usually be.
- If you intend to be taking your campervan abroad you will need to know how this impacts your insurance policy. Will you still have the same amount of coverage if you take the campervan abroad?
- When choosing campervan insurance it pays to read the small print. You want to know exactly what is covered and what is not – it is too late to find this information out when you need to make a claim.
- Make sure that you ask to see if you are entitled to any discounts. If you only drive the campervan occasionally this might mean that you can stick to a millage restriction and be entitled to a discount this way.
- If you have installed additional safety measures in your campervan such as extra alarms or a steering wheel lock be sure to tell your insurer. So long as these devices are approved you might be able to get a discount.
- It can be a good idea to seek advice from family and friends about their experiences with buying insurance for a campervan. Just remember though, that unless their situation is very similar to your situation you won’t be offered the same deal.
- The cost of insurance can vary a great deal over time, and just because your insurer seemed to be offering the best deal around last year it does not mean that the same applies this year. It is always a good idea to re-evaluate your options each year.
- When choosing an insurer you might want to check to see if they reward your loyalty to them. In order words, that they will give you discounts for staying with them year after year.
Posted in: Vehicle Insurance